To the south of the Chancel in St. Mary’s Church in Hitchin, is the Guild Chapel and its ceiling has beautifully carved wooden medieval Angels: Some with gold leaf on their wings, others without. This might have been due to prohibitive cost, so the rest couldn’t be done or their gold leaf has fallen away. For whatever reason, they are still beautiful to look at. It is worth noting that each Angel has a different symbol associated with it. This one has a lute, others have a harp or viol, keys or shields or symbols of the guild who funded their making.
To the north of the Chancel is the Trinity Chapel, and it too has Angels on its ceiling. These seem to be of a different style and none have the gilded wings that the others have in the Guild Chapel. However, they are still beautiful and full of character, with individual hairstyles and worth taking note of. So the next time you are in St. Mary’s Church, Look up!
This is the big hall that sits above the west part of the cloisters in The Priory in Hitchin – Confusingly ‘The Priory’ was really a Carmelite Friary founded in 1317 and was renamed to ‘The Priory’ when the house was added on to the Friary at a much later date. What we now know as ‘The Biggin’, used to be Hitchin’s Gilbertine ‘Priory of Newbiggin’ founded in 1361.
Here is an inside tilt-shifted shot of Que Pasa before the public are allowed in. This pub used to be known as The Corn Exchange and was used as such, then became a craft market before becoming a public house. It is a great space with a lovely glass and metal roof and could be greater, if only they would spend some money on doing the place up.