Bridge Street Bridge

bridge-1.jpg

Bridge Street in Hitchin takes its name from the bridge itself, crossing the River Hiz, that was built in 1784 and rebuilt in 2001. ‘Bridgefoot‘ is also mentioned in a survey dated from 1676. At one end of Bridge Street is ‘The Triangle’ (because of a triangular bit of land that had a tree with railings around it) and the other end leads to The Priory and Tilehouse Street.

Earlier on in Hitchin’s Medieval history, the road was known as Spital or Spittle Street as it led to Spital Field that had a Hospital on it. (Spital being a contraction of Hospital)

bridge-2.jpg

Comments are closed.

Categories
Archives
June 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930