Warner’s Almshouses

door-1.jpg

Detail of the rather grand door in to the Warners Almshouses that were originally the parish Poor Houses. Then in 1760, they were rebuilt by Daniel Warner and then again in 1893 (and enlarged too) by funds left by Miss Elizabeth Ann Lucas, formerly of Hitchin who died in 1860. These Almshouses stood (and still stand) within the grounds of St Mary’s Church in the South East corner, by the River Hiz.

almshouses-1.jpg

Comments are closed.

Categories
Archives
April 2025
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930